Thanksgiving was great, we got our Christmas tree up now! 
I had my 2nd appointment at Dr. Herzog's office this week. This appointment was an ultrasound only appointment to check the amniotic fluid levels and make sure baby is healthy. The ultrasound technician is so much more personal and friendly here than in Houston, but they have a tiny screen to see the baby on:( We were getting spoiled to the large flat screen in Houston.
The technician pretty quickly found that I did not have a bicornate uterus, (heart shaped uterus) but that i had uterus didelphys. Basically I have 2 uterus's and one cervix. The baby is in my right side (I already knew that!). The uterus on my left hasn't stretched or gotten any amniotic fluid at all. They said most women with an unusual uterus have one kidney like myself or an issue with their kidneys of some sort. This is because the uterus and kidneys form at the same time. From what I read about 4% of pregnant women have a abnormal uterus, of these 4%, only 5% have uterus didelphys. So I am 5% of 4% WOW. Anyways- here is a illustration:

They technician went ahead and got Dr. Herzog to show him my condition. He spent a couple of minutes in the ultrasound room talking it over. Basically for now- the baby has plenty of room. My uterus should be able to stretch to accommodate baby but the baby may run out of room and come a bit early. Also the baby may not be able to turn upside down which may mean a c-section. The only thing I have to watch out for is my kidney. The only one I have working is my right kidney. Since the baby is putting it's weight only on the right side my kidney is retaining more fluid. Having two uterus's, I could get pregnant in both sides, but there is a small chance. But one thing is for sure- I will be lopsided=D
It was a pleasant visit. I go back Dec 30th to see Dr. Herzog. We will check up on me and schedule the 3D sonogram. I do still have my appointment with a new OBGYN, Dr Garrett Garner on Dec 28th. I am going to keep the appointment for now, he comes extremely recommended. Having a doctor that we are confident in and comfortable with is very important to Ricky and I, and even though Dr. Herzog is a great doctor, we are not completely sure. I will decide on doctors on the 30th after my appointment with Dr. Herzog, and then I will register with the hospital with the doctor I choose.
Here is our baby boy:
Here I am at 21 weeks at mom's house.

How our baby's growing:

Your baby now weighs about three-quarters of a pound and is approximately 10 1/2 inches long — the length of a carrot. You may soon feel like he's practicing martial arts as his initial fluttering movements turn into full-fledged kicks and nudges. You may also discover a pattern to his activity as you get to know him better. In other developments, your baby's eyebrows and lids are present now, and if you're having a girl, her vagina has begun to form as well.



No comments:
Post a Comment