August 8, 2009

Our first OBGYN appointment

My appointment went very well today, what a relief! Ricky had the day off so he was able to go with me YEAH! My appointment started off with my weight which was 110lbs, and then my blood pressure which I can tell you will always be high when I go to the doctors office or hospital. I don't know how I manage to do it, but I get so incredibly nervous I make my blood pressure rise, however if taken afterwards or if I check my blood pressure at the drugstore later, my blood pressure will be normal. LOL So my blood pressure was like 140 over 90 UGH!

Then, I gave a urine sample, but I didn't need to pee at all and could only produce a very lacking sample. Then we were taken to a room and given a bag with a pregnancy book and info with prenatal vitamins. I asked "Does this mean the urine sample shows I'm pregnant?" The nurse said "mmhrmm". I couldn't believe she could tell from the small sample I gave her. Its even more official now!

Then we played the waiting game for about 30-40 minutes, Ricky is super impatient and he decided he was going to open the door (while I am under the large paper towel they give you) and walk into the hall and remind them we were waiting LOL. As soon as he opened the door, the nurse practitioner was on her way. This nurse practitioner I have never met, she seems nice, i forget her name but I know I will see her again.

She congratulated us, and showed us the prenatal vitamin sample she gave me. This pill was way to big and didn't include DHA. She said they would have a chewable prenatal in a couple of weeks and that they would give me a sample then. She said to just take the sample they gave me in my goodie bag or my One a Day prenatal and crush them if I need to and mix them with something. Sounds good to me! Ill give it a try. Swallowing the pills in small pieces this week has caused me to gag quite a bit:( I asked her when I was due, she said May 7th 2010- which is way off what the pregnancy calculator online said-yes I am aware that pregnancy is actually 10 months, I did the math several times and so did the online calculator- how could I be a month off?

So then she did a super quick pelvic exam and began to ask me when the last time I saw Dr. Michael Hold (My doc, who we love!). This question brought up the infection and surgeries I had a couple of months ago. She immediately asked if I had been having one sided pain- which I had noticed last night while trying to sleep. I told her I was high risk for ectopic pregnancy because the adhesion's in my abdominal from the infection. And much to our relief she immediately scheduled a ultrasound to make sure this was not an ectopic pregnancy-thank god my appointment was on a Friday when the ultrasound tech is there!

We had to wait for about 15 minutes for the ultrasound, during this time Dr. Hold- who we weren't supposed to meet with during this appointment came over to us with tears in his eyes, looking all flushed around the eyes and congratulated us on the pregnancy and was so amazed that it happened so quickly. I wasn't sure if he was teary eyed because of our pregnancy news or something else, but he made sure not to sniffle or let a tear fall down his cheek. He said I did a great job pulling through and taking my antibiotics with the reactions I was having to the medicine earlier this year.

Then we were off to the ultrasound room. As soon as the tech turned on the wand we could see a circle- the yolk sac! I asked if the sac was in the correct place and she said "Yes!" Whew, disaster adverted! So thankful, another blessing! I am told that I am now 5 weeks and 1 day pregnant. Ricky took video:




Then we were taken to another room in which Dr. Hold followed us with the nurse practitioner and congratulated us on a healthy pregnancy so far! He went over what not to eat/do and said even though I have a heart shaped uterus that he thinks it will be just fine and that it was too early to tell which side, if not the middle, the baby implanted on. He wants to see me again in 2 weeks on August 21st to hear the heartbeat! He ordered some blood work and my visit was completely FREE! I usually have to pay a copay, this is great!

The blood work is a piece of cake for me now- I'm not effected by this anymore, I had it done soo much earlier this year (every 4-6 hours for a week) plus the lady who takes the blood there is amazing and gentle!

After our appointment we went to Babies 'R' Us to look around. Its overwhelming how much stuff they have there. I saw a very cute rocking chair I want there but we mostly browsed pretty quickly. There are some GREAT pregnancy wedges I want to get a couple of them for sleeping once I get bigger, they also have a huge pregnancy pillow that I hear I wont be able to sleep without and of course I saw the belly band extender or whatever its called so don't have to buy new pants for a couple more months!

We ended up leaving with a Expectant father book that Ricky picked out (Awe), a couple of baby name books, and a pregnancy journal so that I can document my pregnancy and everything in a keepsake! We picked up a heartbeat monitor but we cant use it until the third trimester, I for some reason thought it was a doppler monitor but it was not.



Then we went to Target and bought "I love Grandma" and "I love Grandpa" baby bibs for my mom, Ricky's mom, and Ricky's dad as a way to tell them the great news Saturday and Sunday. Unfortunately my dad lives too far away for us to tell him in person, so I will have to give him a call this weekend! We leave for Dallas tomorrow after Rick gets off work!

I have already read "The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy" which was a pretty good read, lil scary but not too much. Did I tell you that one of my biggest fears for about 10-11 years now has been labor giving birth? hahaha YEP! I have also been reading "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" which is telling whats going on each week and what to expect each week. As far as how I am feeling: I have period like cramps which I read is normal, I get up to pee about 2-5 times at night, I am getting headaches from not having caffeine anymore, my breasts have been sore for weeks and I'm getting more used to it and I have ovulation type pain which is called round ligament pain which is also normal! Oh, and I am still having trouble sleeping...I cant fall asleep until super late and I am sleeping in soo late. I am really tired. So far so good.


How our baby's growing:

"Deep in your uterus your embryo is growing at a furious pace. At this point, he's about the size of a sesame seed, and he looks more like a tiny tadpole than a human. He's now made up of three layers — the ectoderm, the mesoderm, and the endoderm — which will later form all of his organs and tissues.The neural tube — from which your baby's brain, spinal cord, nerves, and backbone will sprout — is starting to develop in the top layer, called the ectoderm. This layer will also give rise to his skin, hair, nails, mammary and sweat glands, and tooth enamel.His heart and circulatory system begin to form in the middle layer, or mesoderm. (This week, in fact, his tiny heart begins to divide into chambers and beat and pump blood.) The mesoderm will also form your baby's muscles, cartilage, bone, and subcutaneous (under skin) tissue.The third layer, or endoderm, will house his lungs, intestines, and rudimentary urinary system, as well as his thyroid, liver, and pancreas. In the meantime, the primitive placenta and umbilical cord, which deliver nourishment and oxygen to your baby, are already on the job."



Here I am at 5 1/2 weeks pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment